Devotions to help you on your journey of healing.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Jeremiah 29:8 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” …11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

 God is speaking this to the Israelites who are in exile.  They are literally waiting to be brought back to their homeland, but instead God gives them this promise.  He actually encourages them to plant themselves where they are, to build relationships, to pray for prosperity in the land where they are, in essence… to LIVE and LOVE. 

This promise has spoken to me and my children more through this season of exile than any others.  My kids can all quote this scripture, and we repeat it to each other when we have those moments of fear and uncertainty.  When our future is not clear and seems bleak, and our hearts are breaking again over what could have been… we remind ourselves that God has a plan for us, that his plan for us includes blessing and hope.  That He has a FUTURE for us!  I am encouraged to not just wait for that future, but to really live and to love where I am now.  God’s promises come true each day.  Each day is yesterday’s future.  I am challenged to pray for peace and prosperity every day, no matter where I am in life.  I am reminded to plant myself, establish relationships, be connected with the people in my life, wherever I am today. 

God thank you for this promise.  Thank you for reminding me again that you know what is going on.  Thank you that I am not in charge.  Help me to continue to learn to trust You in everything, and in the promise of Your plans and future for us.  Help me to truly live each day to its fullest, and not wait until the “right moment” to take it all in.  Thank you that each day is a day of promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment